Literally the first piece of fanart in the WtNV after I reblogged that post was a Cecil with LITERALLY black skin, white hair and strange tattoos.
Social Justice Nazis and their blinders….
A few things I would like to say on this matter, because it is a popular way people cosplay/draw him:
- At some point, that certain headcanon of him was created, and people went with it, liked it, created more of it, and that is totally awesome.
- If people think Cecil is a blonde, white, has a third eye, has tattoos, has tentacles, that’s fucking fantastic.
- If people think Cecil has purple skin and bright green hair and twenty legs and butterfly wings with a unicorn horn, that’s also bloody brilliant.
- Just because it’s a popular headcanon, does not mean the people doing that art/cosplay are not creative (because people work damn well hard on their art, cosplays, fics, and you have no right to dismiss them and say they’re not creative just because they’re doing their own take on something popular), and it does not mean people are dismissing the idea of him being something different.
- I’ve seen plenty of art depicting Cecil to look so different in so many ways. Welcome to Night Vale is a radio show, and it’s left to us to imagine what many of the things, including Cecil, look like.
- Here are Cecil and Carlos as Animal Crossing characters
- Here is Cecil with really cute (clearly not human) ears
- Here is a dark-skinned Cecil
- Here is some gender-swapped Cecilos
- Here is an older-looking Cecil
- Check out Cecil’s groovy do
- Winged Cecilos
- Some nice actor headcanons for Cecil and Carlos
And finally, taken straight from the commonplacebooks.com FAQ:
Ultimately, what I’m trying to say, is that Welcome to Night Vale is a show that allows fans to be very involved and creative, and that should be praised and appreciated, not mocked because a certain way of imagining him is liked. There are many different versions of Cecil, Carlos, and the rest of the characters and places already, and there will hopefully be many more wonderful ones to come, especially as our show and fandom grow together.
Yeah, people might be fond of the idea of him being blonde and white, but it’s ignorant for you to think that’s the only way people imagine him, because it most definitely is not. Look around, see the art, see the cosplay, read the fics, broaden your view of the fandom, learn to appreciate the vast amount of talent it holds.
And now, the weather.
Because let’s be real for a sec. Cecil, you were such a creepy stalker, and now that you see that Carlos is a human being with less than stellar traits, and love him anyway, it is ten times more poignant and beautiful, not to mention 100 times more realistic.
Because that’s how relationships work, despite what media tells us. Your loved ones piss you off. You have to learn how to compromise. You have to communicate. And it is awesome to see WtNV playing with this, especially with a queer couple.
whoa, people are actually getting really upset and thinking cecil and carlos are having relationship troubles?
babies no, the fact that they’ve actually begun a relationship that grew out of one-sided adoration and has developed into something well rounded and real is perfect. cecil can acknowledge flaws, and carlos can compromise with work and their relationship when cecil is feeling jealous of science, and cecil can get huffy and passive aggressive because he wants more attention, and carlos is becoming blase and entirely used to the weirdness of night vale in the middle of making him dinner when a masked army is upon them because it’s home now and he isn’t an outsider anymore, and you just know that after the broadcast cecil deflated from his righteous indignation because carlos prepared a candlelit supper in cecil’s apartment with no lab coat or suggestion of science anywhere in sight, and carlos would have teasingly promised not to chew too loud and cecil would’ve covered his face with both hands because he just lets himself get carried away sometimes, and that is the cutest shit in the world
WTNV Poster Giveaway
Okay… so I did this design, right…? And I wanted it printed for my office at work, so I ordered a 13 x 19 print from Zazzle. And I waited, and waited, and waited.
And when it didn’t come after 3 weeks, I contacted Zazzle and they determined that it was lost in the mail and sent a replacement.
Then they both showed up.
And now have two posters.
Do you want one?
If so, reblog (not like) this post and I’ll pick a recipient at random on 9/21/13.
You don’t have to follow me. You do have to either be 18 or clear it with your parents before you give me your address if you win. You do need to make sure your asks are on so that I can contact you.